Ken Adelson is an Emmy award winning, highly successful multimedia executive, live event executive producer and broadcast journalist, with an exceptional record of achievement and consummate driver of innovation at premier sports media organizations over a 30 year career.
A creative production and programming specialist with strong leadership skills, Ken was a driving force behind NBA Entertainment’s global expansion in the 90’s and 2000’s, the league’s entry into digital media production and launch of NBA TV as the NBA’s SVP of Production and Operations. He started up the OKC Thunder’s broadcasting and digital media operations, Fox Sports Oklahoma, The Jockey Club’s horse racing broadcasts on NBC and Fox Sports, and launched the America’s Best Racing Website.
In the summer of 2015, Ken took on the challenge to launch and oversee the National Hot Rod Association’s television & digital production and programming operations, and develop the NHRA’s new over the top All-Access service.
He lead the initiative for the nation’s second largest motor sport to take live-remote, studio and multi-platform production and programming in-house. Responsible for all aspects of content creation and distribution, producing over 75 days of National Event coverage airing on FS1 and Fox Broadcast; in-venue big screen presentations; NHRA “All-Access and creating/distributing feature content and shoulder programming for all web and social media outlets.
The NHRA’s new media era began in the 2016 season:
– 34 million total viewers, 14 million more than 2015.
-Sunday Finals TV ratings comparison up 24 percent from 2015 on ESPN, an unheard of increase in today’s television era.
-The important 18-49 demographic up 49 percent from 2015, viewers are trending younger.
-Attendance increased in 2016, including five events that had sellout crowds and several others that were near-sellouts.
-Added a state-of-the-art television studio in the Wally Parks Broadcast Center at the NHRA office in Glendora to produce features, news reports and live interviews each day that is streamed on NHRA.com and posted to multiple social media outlets.
-Social media numbers skyrocketed in 2016, more than doubling on Twitter in less than nine months.
– Sponsors are noticing and coming onboard, including non-traditional auto sponsors like Papa John’s, who has come on board as NHRA sponsor.
– National media attention has soared this season with major features in USA Today (John Force, Angelle Sampey and Antron Brown) the New York Times the Philadelphia Enquirer (Angelle Sampey wins again), Forbes Magazine (behind the scenes look at Kalitta Motorsports), Parade Magazine.com (behind the scene with John Force Racing), FOX Sports and FOX Regional show “The Game 365”, which did an entire program on “The Women of the NHRA.”
With proven results in ground-up media startups, managing complex sports organizations, building superior teams and restructuring existing operations, a creative executive producer for national and regional live games/events and studio shows skilled at developing entertaining multi-screen video content and marketing strategies. Adept at integrating new technologies and taking advantage of all traditional and social media distribution outlets.
Ken is a nationally recognized industry leader for career long contributions to broadcasting and digital media. Here are a few key accomplishments that helped shape the future, and drive success at some of the nation’s leading sports and entertainment media organizations…
NBA Entertainment, Senior Vice President, Production and Operations
- Launched and supervised NBA TV, the first major league sports network
- Ran the day-to-day operations and oversaw a staff of 350+ for worldwide production and programming, live games telecasts & in-arena presentations
- Pioneered NBA’s cross-platform digital programming initiatives
- Advanced from Producer to SVP based on achievements over 18 years
Oklahoma City Thunder, Executive Producer and SVP Broadcasting, Production and Programming
- Started-up and oversaw all aspects of Fox Sports Oklahoma / Thunder Broadcasting
- Built and managed the Thunder Radio Networks (English and Spanish)
- Developed, produced and cross utilized hundreds of hours of content for Broadcasts, Web Video Content and In-Arena Presentations
- Won Regional Emmy Award as Executive Producer for LA Lakers – OKC Thunder Game Broadcast
- Supervised design and construction of new HD control room at Ford Center
The Jockey Club, Executive Producer, leadership position in start-up multi-screen marketing and programming organization to attract new fans to the sports of horse racing
- Created / Executive Producer for national horse racing telecasts on NBC and Fox Sports
- Launched America’s Best Racing Website
- Developed multimedia and experiential marketing initiatives and sponsorship integration
Sports Broadcasting & Achievements
- On-Air Television Anchor, Reporter and Producer at Network Affiliates in Salt Lake City, Phoenix and Hartford, CT (Top 25-market at age 24)
- National and international keynote speaker at major broadcast conferences
- Media coach and educator, developing new talent for the broadcast industry
Currently, working in season 2 for the NHRA, enjoying continued success and helping to grow the world’s fastest and more extreme sport.